Q & A
KOOSHY KIDS KOOSHION:
WHICH AIRLINES ALLOW THE KOOSHION?
Most airlines allow the use of the Kooshion during the flight with the following conditions;
- It is not used in an exit row
- It does not block the way for other passengers
- It is not inflated during take off or landing (or when seat belt sign is on)
- The child's seatbelt is fastened at all times (you can request an infant extender belt to help with this).
The following airlines allow the use of inflatable cushions:
- Aegean Airlines
- Air Asia
- Air Canada
- Air France
- Air Vanuatu
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- Austrian Airlines
- Cathay Dragon
- Cathay Pacific
- Cebu Pacific
- China Eastern
- China Southern
- Delta Air Lines
- Easy Jet
- Etihad Airways
- Garuda Indonesia
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Hong Kong Express
- Japan Airlines
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Korean Air
- Malaysia Airlines
- Philippine Airlines
- Royal Jordanian Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- Swiss Air
- Vietnam Airlines
- Virgin (America)
Our customers frequently use the Kooshion onboard Emirates, Thai Airways, Jetstar, Qatar and Virgin Australia (although we receive inconsistent phone advice on whether these are permitted or subject to flight crew's discretion).
Qantas have recently updated their policy and do not permit the use of inflatable cushions.
We have found that some customers are told over the phone that the product is not permitted, however have used it onboard without an issue. We have also found that web advice states that the decision lies with the flight crew. Less than 1% of our customers have been told they are not allowed to use it once onboard.
Airline policy is subject to change without notice. We recommend that you check with your airline prior to travel as well as social pages to see other's experiences.
We are currently working with Qantas & Virgin to demonstrate that our product is safe. Until then, we recommend flying with airlines that support stress-free family travel.
We do not offer refunds if you are refused use, or if the product does not fit on your aircraft.
WHO CAN USE THE KOOSHY KIDS KOOSHION?
For laying flat, it depends on the height of your child, however most children can lay flat using the product up to 6 years old. Taller children (and adults) can use the product as a foot/leg rest and may also find sleeping easier with their legs supported. It also helps to prevent DVT.
It is also useful for parents with children under 2 who do not have their own seat, as it creates a larger flat space.
The maximum weight capacity per cushion is 80 kg.
Children using the Kooshion should be supervised at all times.
HOW DO I USE IT?
Once in the air and the seatbelt sign is off, place the Kooshion on the floor and inflate to your desired height. Your child can now begin using it as a foot rest or a bed. Your child can face either way, however if the seat in front reclines, it is safer if their feet are on the Kooshion. We recommend that seat belts are fastened at all times. You can ask for an extender/infant belt to assist with this and to avoid the seatbelt becoming a choking hazard.
WHAT ARE THE PRODUCT SPECS?
Once inflated, the Kooshy Kids Kooshion measures 60cm x 38cm x 44cm and weighs 800 grams.
The drawstring backpack that comes with the Kooshion measures 30cm x 40cm.
WILL IT FIT ALL AIRCRAFT TYPES?
The Kooshion has been designed to fit and sit flush with all economy airlines and most standard, bus and train seats. It can be used vertically or horizontally to fit the space between your child’s seat and the seat in front. Inflating whilst in position will assist it to fit in tighter spaces.
You can adjust the level of inflation on the bottom layer to ensure the Kooshion is the same height as the seat.
It is a good idea to check the make of the aircraft and find out the available floor space. Head to Seat Guru to find this out! In smaller aircrafts with less leg room, you can flip the cushion so that the top becomes the base...this makes the top narrower and easier to fit in tight spaces. (The base also has a soft covering so it will still be Kooshy).
DOES IT FIT IN THE BULKHEAD SEATS (ROWS WITH BASSINETS)?
YES! You simply turn it so that it goes longways and it fits the space well.
TIP: If you can secure bulkhead seats, Kooshions are really great for bigger children and adults!
DO I NEED A PUMP?
It is possible to inflate by mouth, but we highly recommend using a foot pump or battery operated pump.
Firstly, inflation is much quicker.
Secondly, the Kooshion is best inflated whilst in position on the floor (good luck doing this by mouth!) It ensures that it is a tight fit.
Thirdly, if you inflate by mouth you may find it difficult to squeeze it into place. If it is in position when inflated, it will fit all economy seats (including bulkhead/bassinet seats).
FOOT PUMP Vs BATTERY OPERATED AIR PUMP?
- Weighs 400 grams, making total kit weight 1.3kgs
- Requires manual pumping (hand or foot) and takes about 2-3 minutes
- Makes a squeaky noise (although noise of the engine blocks out most noise)
- Weighs 900 grams (with batteries inserted), making total kit weight 1.7 kgs
- Fast inflation - approx 30-40 seconds
- Requires 4 x D cell batteries
- Noisy (although the noise of the engine blocks out a lot of the pump noise)
- Great for multiple use....this pump is very handy to have around the house to inflate toys, pools, mattresses etc.
NOTE: In order for this air pump to be permitted onboard, the batteries must be placed inside the air pump prior to travel. We recommend you try out the air pump prior to your flight and practise inflation. Remember to use the outer valve to avoid the Kooshion deflating rapidly once pump is removed and do not over inflate. Cease pumping as soon as the Kooshion becomes firm and always leave your finger on the on/off button. We also recommend placing your batteries in the wrong way around when not in use to avoid the switch turning on unintentionally.
Still can't decide which pump to choose? Email us and we will send you demo vids of both options.
WHAT MAKES THE KOOSHY KIDS KOOSHION SO EXCEPTIONAL?
- Made from superior quality PVC so that it is less likely to puncture and easy to clean
- Soft flocking material on the top of the Kooshion for additional comfort
- Every Kooshion comes with a FREE waterproof drawstring backpack with three colours to choose from
- Best quality soft valves, making inflation more manageable
- Three inflation options to choose from (mouth, foot pump and air pump)
- Kooshy Kids is 100% Australian owned...when you buy from us you are supporting local business
- Excellent value for money, starting from $59.95 with multiple cost-effective postage options and no handling fees
If you have any further questions, please contact us.