Smart Covid International Travel
Travelling during a pandemic means you need to be prepared for your travel plans to be interrupted at short notice and if you’re making a booking for travel while borders are still closed, you need to be especially careful.
As travel insurance may not protect you from government border closures, general lockdowns or quarantine requirements in your destination country, the key is to book only with providers that allow you flexibility should things change or borders open later than anticipated.
Here are some hot tips for your planning:
- If travelling from Australia, check the rules for departure and apply for any relevant exemptions.
- Check the rules for travelling to your destination country. For example, are there any entry requirements? Do you need to be fully vaccinated?
- Consider going to just one or a few places in one country at a time rather than travelling to several countries.
- Read the terms and conditions before you book. Make sure you’re allowed a refund.
- Book flexible tickets for flights.
- Make sure your hotel booking can be cancelled or at least changed.
- If you book through a travel agent or booking site, make sure they don’t charge an extra cancellation fee.
- Consider booking at the last minute so you’re up to date with the latest travel restrictions.
- Pay by credit card, as this allows you to apply for a chargeback if something goes wrong.
- Keep on top of the latest travel advice and requirements at smartraveller.gov.au. Travel restrictions can change at short notice.
- Take out travel insurance but make sure you can cancel it and at least get a partial refund for it if you have to cancel your travel or it’s cut short because of COVID-19 border closures.